Sunday, June 9, 2013

Lost in Translation

Sarabeth and Christopher walked with me through an antique store on Friday. Note to self:  it is always a mistake to take children shopping with you. Anyway, I was looking at tea pots and tea cups, while they wandered through the store looking at who knows what. Christopher found a fencing mask and sword he liked, but he didn't press me too much on that. Then Sarabeth found a pair of Greek busts, twins Apollo and Artemis, that she and Christopher were just dying to buy. DIE-ING to buy. "But Mommy, they're brother and sister. We could put one in my room and one in Christopher's room!" Sarabeth pleaded. "Mommy, I really want that bunt of Apollo!," cried Christopher. (Yes, I meant to write "bunt.") I agreed to ask the store to hold them for us, so we could talk to Daddy about it first. They were not happy, but so it was.

On the way home, I told them I often saw things in stores that I really wanted to buy. This happens throughout life, even when you're an adult. I explained my process of evaluation: "You just have to step back and ask yourself, 'Do I really need this? Can I afford this? Is this the only time in my life I'll ever have an opportunity to buy something like this?'"

Then Christopher quickly asked, "What if there's not room to step back?"

Bless his heart. Those antique stores are really crowded.



No comments: